Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Nitro engine break-in.



I get asked all the time what is the best way to break in a nitro engine. I'm not sure if it the best method, but here what I do to break-in my Nova Rossi engines. With the engine installed in buggy I pre-heat the engine using a Competition Heater. If you don't have a heater from Competition Heat you can use a heat gun or hair dryer. Heat the engine up to 170-200 degrees before starting it. After you start the engine I usually leave the heater on the head, but unplug it. If you don’t have a heater you can put a 1/10th truck insert around the head to help keep the engine warm. I’ll then set the idle and low speed needle to make sure the engine idles consistently and let the engine idle for one tank. You may want to slightly rev the engine from time to time just enough to clean out the pipe. After one tank let the engine cool. Then repeat the process 3-4 times to heat cycle the engine. You should then be ready to hit the track or street to start running the engine. When the engine is new just make sure you run the HSN rich for the first gallon.