Search This Blog

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Hal's Hobbies Toys for Tots race













Hello all

This past weekend I traveled with my wife and kids to El Paso, TX for a Toys for Tots race. The event was hosted by Hal's Hobbies. Hal's has provided Texas with hobby goods for over 50 years. The current owners have been at it for 30 plus years and still have what it takes to be successful. It is a true family affair headed by Carlos Priemer, wife Gloria and son Charlie. Each playing a vital role in the day to day operations. They boast a true full line hobby shop that is completely stocked and ready for hobbyists and racers alike. (They also have the coolest bathroom in RC) Charlie recently built an awesome new offroad track and has helped grow a steady following of club racers.

The event that benefited the Toys for Tots and drew racers from all over the southwest. Racers from Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and even Mexico all came together to do battle on the loamy technical track. My buggy did not disappoint and I was able to take the top qualifying spot and the eventual win in the main. The Losi red "EBT" tire combo was a perfect choice for the bumpy, loamy track and gave me all the traction I needed. EBT is the nickname we have come up with for using XBT fronts and eclipse rear tires.

It was a pleasure to meet such a fine group of people who treated me like family. I can't wait for a chance to race down there again. Thanks go out to Charlie, and parents Carlos and Gloria for a great time.